Saturday, May 18, 2013

Musée des arts et métiers

I decided to wander around a museum today. I live pretty close to the Musée des arts et métiers (Museum of arts and industry) so off I went. I was pleased to find out that if you're under 26, admission is free! Yay.

A glass alcohol thermometer from 1751.




















Items from Lavoisier's lab. Here are some pieces of equipment that were used for measuring out oxygen and hydrogen (the two big things on either side) and they were combined in the glass instrument closer in the back. A spark was applied and boom, water! The video screen in the front showed a nice animation of the process.













Microscope from 1751. Things in the museum mostly fell in the category 1750-1850 or 1850-1950.




















A hyperboloid...not really sure what this was for, except for modeling.













Upper and lower cases for uppercase and lowercase letters! I'm not sure that actually merits an exclamation mark but I've never actually seen the upper and lower cases before.













Some kind of flying contraption, I couldn't find an info placard for this.













Replica of Foucault's pendulum. I think the actual one used to be here, I'm not sure where it's displayed now.













1850s Paris. Just kidding, there was an art gallery set up near Foucault's pendulum, steampunk seemed to be the theme.



1 comment:

  1. wow! cool museum!! woo science!!

    i checked on the original pendulum. i saw one at the Pantheon but apparently that one was just a replica! and the real one was broken 3 years ago :\ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum#Original_Foucault_pendulum

    ReplyDelete