Sunday, April 7, 2013

Exploring the Louvre!

Today is the first Sunday of the month which means free admission to the Louvre! I was dreading the unavoidably long line... but eventually I sucked it up and walked over. The line was as long as I feared, stretching to the next courtyard area that the Louvre encompasses, but I had two books with me. Then actually, the line didn't take that long! The sign said the estimated wait time was 1:30 so I had resigned myself to getting through a lot of Thursday Next #4, but the line was constantly moving and I had both my book and the accents of the British family behind me in line to keep me occupied. Only took about 30 min, I was in at around 11:15am! I'm sure later the line got much longer.

I headed to the Mona Lisa immediately. There was a jostle-y crowd in front of it as I expected but it wasn't too bad. When I went back to see it later the crowd definitely got worse.


The glass didn't make for great picture taking :-/















My favorite section was the Greek antiquities section, in particular the Winged Victory of Samothrace, Pysche and Cupid, and Venus de Milo.


Winged Victory is in the background















Just the interiors of the former palace itself were spectacular!






























Sunny day today!
















Afterward I had a bite to eat on the way home at Cafe Chatelet. Tried the duck confit. Or rather, the confit de canard. Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment