Saturday, April 20, 2013

Montmartre

Today I walked to Montmartre to visit la Basilique du Sacré-Coeur and to look for locations found in the film Amélie.

On the way I passed a lot of interesting sights like Gare du Nord, Gare de l'Est, and the Marché Couvert Saint-Quentin (a large covered market). And a number of shops of a...seedier nature.

Finding my way to Sacré-Coeur was easy since it's up on a hill.





Great view of the city from up here
















Inside the Basilica. Technically...photos aren't allowed...this was taken about 2 seconds before a reprimand. At least I was being quiet! There was a designated shusher at the door, I felt really bad for him. There were a lot of rude tourists that were chatting on the way in. Before they got shushed.


There was a sign about different animals that are incorporated into the art inside, one of the examples was a little snail carved into a wooden something so I was on the lookout for snails. Didn't find any though.














From the back of the Basilica
















There was a guy who was bouncing around a soccer ball off his foot and various body parts and keeping it aloft FOREVER basically. When I came out of the Basilica, he had climbed this lamp post but was still bouncing around the soccer ball, it was amazing!!
















I think this area was used in the movie, after Nino sees Amélie slip the photobook back into his bag and he goes "HEY!" and runs down toward the merry-go-round. There is no phone booth...














Passed by the Moulin Rouge





Café de 2 Moulins!













Interior, the only thing missing was Georgette's tobacco counter.







I got the créme brulée, it was an Amélie special on the menu. Pricey though! 8 Euros for it and a coffee. It was good though, the top was super crisp which makes me want to get a butane torch. Broiling just doesn't do as good a job. Also, the custard tasted like vanilla with a hint of cinnamon. I think I put vanilla in my custard but maybe not enough? The dairy stomachache also hit like 15 minutes after eating this.  :(





This fromagerie was across the street, the logo is so cute!



The one thing I didn't find was Au Marché de la Butte and Collignon's house! Oh well, next time.

On the way back, I walked along the Canal Saint-Martin, the skipping stones scene was shot around here.














I stopped by Franprix on the way back. It's a little farther than the G20 which is why I haven't been there till now, but the aisles are wide enough that two people can actually pass each other without one of them turning sideways! I found crepes with a cheese and ham filling in the frozen food section which I thought would be like French hot pockets... Well, they're very small and the filling is runnier than expected but they're okay. It smells like pancakes. I was advised to try out some non-orange flavored Fanta, there was only these big bottles. This one is strawberry kiwi. Also got some chocolate wafer type things since I'm out of those chocolate-covered cookie things.



1 comment:

  1. Créme brulée and coffee = heavenly match. Now I want some! (Decaf, of course.)

    ReplyDelete